On Friday 20 March 2015, Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State for Transport, and Cllrs Julie Dore & James Lewis, as Directors of Rail North Ltd., signed a Partnership Agreement for the management of the Northern and TransPennine Express franchises from 1 April 2016.
The agreement sets out the roles and responsibilities of Rail North and the Department for Transport.
While some elements remain classed as ‘reserved matters’ for the Secretary of State, the responsibilities for Rail North will relate to:
- Development of and changes to the Train Service Requirement;
- Changes to the train fleet;
- Assets, leases and third parties;
- Concessionary travel, multi-modal ticketing schemes and ‘smart’ transactions;
- Performance management and enforcement;
- Matters relating to the deployment of rolling stock where this affects any Rail North Association member (including branding and funding of rolling stock);
- Development of and changes to the Train Plan;
- Right to carry out surveys (including carrying out passenger surveys such as surveys required for the purposes of multi-operator ticketing schemes and/or concessionary travel reimbursement);
- Station facilities addressed by the provisions of a relevant Franchise Agreement, (including staffing levels, passenger facilities, ticket sales, ticketing equipment, information provision, car parks, parking charges, cycle storage, taxi and bus interchange);
- Right to inspect (including carrying out inspections, surveys of stations, trains and any other passenger facility);
- The application of fare increases to fare baskets (including fare basket harmonisation and the application of de minimis values).